Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On måndagen den 19 maj 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> My point is: We don't want to change version-tracking to track this
> "Fixes" notion in addition to the "Closes" notion. Version-tracking is
> complex enough already.

It shouldn't have to become more complex. We could simply run the same
algorithm twice, once with the "patched-in" versions and once with
the "fixed-in" versions as input (the current terminology of the BTS is
is "Fixed in versions ...", so I'd prefer to call the new state "patched").
If a particular version is found to be both patched and fixed, then it is
considered fixed. The downside is that a bug can't simply be downgraded from
fixed to patched; it would have to be marked found and patched in the same
version, but that's hopefully a relatively rare situation.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@debian.org
Debian Developer