Re: What should postrm purge actually do?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:38:30PM +0200, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> > Richard Kettlewell writes ("What should postrm purge actually do?"):
> > > Things I'm uncertain about, that someone might actually miss:
> > >     - log files
> >
> > Yes, these should be removed.
>
> I think removing log files is a bad practice. A user may need to keep
> those log files (by law for example) and unbeknownst to them, debian
> has removed them when they removed web server X to replace it with
> web server Y.
>
> Log files should be out of bounds, even for --purge.

Except, you EXPLICITELY asked for removing all cruft left by the package.
If you want the junk left, that's what "remove" is for.

And the Policy specifically names log files as something which should go
away on "purge" but not on "remove".

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be