Re: 37.5% boot time reduction in Lenny is possible (recipe)

[Lennart Sorensen]
> I guess I better make sure all init scripts declare dependancies
> correctly.  That can sometimes be hard given how various network
> related things can affect each other.

Yes.

The provided boot sequence look sane enough, but there are quite a lot
of scripts I do not recognize.  The sequence is not reordered based on
dependencies and thus not fit for concurrent booting.  Did you run
parallel booting with this sequence, or did you enable insserv first?
Parallel booting do not work without reordering based on dependencies.
The sequence numbers used in many packages do not reflect their
dependencies, as not all scripts with the same sequence number can
start in parallel.

Running /usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order from the insserv package
might warn for some of these, but it ignore those that happen to get
the correct ordering with non-parallel booting because of ascii
sorting of the script.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen