Re: Mailing lsit code of conduct, again

Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> writes:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 07:14:10AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The solution to this problem is to fix the mailing list code of conduct
>> to stop creating this expectation.  We don't enforce it anyway, and all
>> this provision seems to do in practice is create these annoying
>> arguments periodically.

> In my experience it's helpful to have a convention - there always seems
> to be some exchange of ideas on the issue but if there's a convention
> then at least you can point at it and say "that's the way we do things
> round here".

We could document the convention without making it part of a code of
conduct, which implies that we somehow enforce it and will drop people
from mailing lists for not following it or something.  Codes of conduct
usually have consequences for violating them, which this clearly doesn't
(other than sparking 40-post threads every couple of months and annoyed
paragraphs at the top of replies that people generally ignore anyway).