Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 02:26:29PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I think it's about time to file mass bugs on whatever packages are left that
> use version control and lack the fields.

Unfortunately this is not easy to do, as least not as "mass bug filing".

Point is that it is not easy to spot which packages are actually
maintained using a $VCS. I did an approximation of that crossing data
coming from svnbuildstat with Vcs-* information, see
http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/vcs-urls/ . But it has serious
limitations: it is Svn specific and only for packages registered under
svnbuildstat.debian.net.

You can imagine harvesting alioth.d.o and extracting all debian/control
stored in whatever $VCS you find there, but you can't be sure if this is
the currently used $VCS, if there are other versions of the package
versioned elsewhere, ... Plenty of room for false positives.  Even
lintian won't be able to help much here, as VCS-specific info are
usually not even in the source package (unless you want to warn for all
packages lacking a Vcs-* field, no matter what).

Still, it is a good idea to start diffusing the culture of manually
filing bugs against version controlled packages lacking the field.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/