Re: How to handle Debian patches

Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com> writes:

> Clear patches are not because of VCS, but because of clear and concisely
> described changesets. If you have patches with bad descriptions or a
> giant blob in VCS, then that is useless not because of the failure of
> VCS, but the failure of the developer.

And by changeset in this context, referring to Git, you mean a branch?

The description part is exactly the part that I don't know how to solve
easily using Git unless the solution is to rebase everything and amend
commits, which is a really annoying and substandard workflow.  If I'm
going to do that, I'd rather just use quilt, since then the workflow is
the same as quilt and quilt is better at it.  The useful part of Git is
the merging and branching support; if I'm not going to merge branches,
there doesn't seem to be a lot of point.  But merges mean that there are
no longer simple commits in the Git repository that one can point to.

How does upstream easily get the complete description of a change that I
have in a Git repository for packaging their software?  What should I be
doing to help with that?