Manpages for binaries not in $PATH

Hi all,
I'm trying to cut down john's bugs [0], and I've encountered #132223 [1]. As
the previous maintainer did, I would have marked that bug as wontfix, because a
normal user shouldn't normally run programs not in $PATH. However, re-reading
the Policy, it states:

+==> §12.1
| Each program, utility, and function should have an associated manual page
| included in the same package. It is suggested that all configuration files
| also have a manual page included as well. Manual pages for protocols and other
| auxiliary things are optional.

This suggests that it should have a manpage. But, it's a *should*. On the other
hand, I know that many "entities" which are not in $PATH have their own manpage
-- see for example Perl modules.

How should I behave here?

Kindly,
David