Re: libqglviewer and two versions of Qt.

Hi,

> My question is: how long will Qt3 be available in Debian?
> I assume it will be available in lenny - if not,  please correct me.

yes, Qt3 will be available in lenny.

> So, I believe I need to provide two versions of libqglviewer - one linked
> with Qt3 and one with Qt4. I have some doubts about the issue and I'd be
> glad to hear your advice.
>
> 1. If there is a package with build-dependency on libqglviewer-dev how
>    should the maintainer of the package be able to select which linking
>    option (s)he choose?
> 2. Shall I provide two -dev packages, one providing .pc file for Qt3 linked
>    library and one for Qt4?
> 3. Should the packages conflict with each other or not?
> 4. How should the packages (either -dev as shared libraries) be named?
> 5. Is there in Debian any other library suffering from similar problem? I'd
>    like to take a look into used solution.

you can take a look to libavahi, libpoppler or libqwt:

libqwt5-qt3 - Qt3 widgets library for technical applications (runtime)
libqwt5-qt3-dev - Qt3 widgets library for technical applications (development)
libqwt5-qt4 - Qt4 widgets library for technical applications (runtime)
libqwt5-qt4-dev - Qt4 widgets library for technical applications (development)

we have appended qt version to each -dev/lib path packages to make them
co-installable.

cheers,

Fathi