Re: exim, local resolver, host name lookups and IPv6

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:50:17 +0200, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org>
wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:41:26PM +0200, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>> Exim has the habit of trying to find out about its host names and IP
>> addresses when it starts up. This has, in the past, been an issue for
>> the Debian packages, since a Debian system might be on a
>> dial-on-demand modem line with expensive costs and thus should not do
>> unnecessary DNS lookup when the MTA is started.
>
>The main question to be able to answer your question correctly is:
>what does it need these information for ?

I don't know. The exim packages have a configuration option
"minimaldns", which hardcodes the output of hostname --fqdn to the
primary_hostname configuration option which takes care of this issue
most of the time, but not always. The cases where it does not help
might be connected with no local domain name being set.

I guess it needs to know its IP addresses and host names to properly
insert itself into Received:-Headers and HELO commands, but I think
that setting primary_hostname should take care of that.

I remember that we added the 127.0.1.1 business to /etc/hosts to
address this issue, so there was a reason for not fixing this in exim
itself.

>IP address could be taken from network interfaces configuration, too.

I guess that Philip refrained from doing so for sake of being
portable.

Greetings
Marc