Re: exim, local resolver, host name lookups and IPv6

On 2008-04-11, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Bernhard R. Link:
>
>> I think the main problem is that Debian is by default setting up those
>> ipv6 stuff into the interface even when you are in an pure ipv4
>> environment. That way exim4 cannot do anything to avoid ipv6 stuff
>> and evil things like this can happen.
>
> Yes, I agree this is a problem, because IPv6 still doesn't work out of
> the box because IPv6 networking is initialized too late in the boot
> process.

How so?  Do you mean a situation such as

 * no inet6 stanzas configured in /etc/network/interfaces
 * a daemon attempts to bind to an AF_INET6 socket late in the boot
   process
 * the kernel helpfully autoloads ipv6.ko
 * the kernel helpfully binds a "scope link" inet6 address to each
   network interface and performs router solicitation

?

It's primarily the configuration of those "scope link" inet6 addresses
which cause problems, right?  Would loading ipv6.ko with
net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf = 0 help?

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org