Re: A suggestion

On Fri April 4 2008 02:54:16 Holger Levsen wrote:
> http://layer-acht.org/debian/xorg-etch-backports/

The people who create supplemental archives are much
appreciated.  Nevertheless, one wonders if there is
anything that could be done to make them unnecessary.

For example, our Debian installations currently include
packages from the following mix:

1) Debian Sources
  a) debian
  b) debian-security
  c) debian-volatile
  d) debian-multimedia

2) Debian Releases
  a) Servers are mostly Etch
  b) Desktops are mostly Lenny
  c) Xorg and NVidia from Sid on some desktops
  d) Until recently Linux 2.6.24 from Sid on some desktops

3) Debian Pools
  a) Mostly main
  b) Some docs and wifi support from non-free
  c) NVidia support from contrib and non-free

4) Other Sources
  a) Stashed copies of some packages temporarily missing from Lenny
  b) Webmin and Usermin from SourceForge
  c) Frozen version of Context, downloaded originally from people.d.o

Now it's true that people pay us good money to setup and
maintain their Debian systems.  But Debian would be more
popular if average computer users could install Debian on
a recent desktop/laptop without Googling for a month.

I note that once installed, people of all skill levels
are very happy using Debian.

--Mike Bird