Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:43:35AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:34:21PM +0000, Peter Clifton a écrit :
> >
> > In gEDA, the .desktop files list "Electronics" and "Engineering" (both
> > of which are sub-categories), and without an additional XML file
> > describing a new menu, these applications will appear under "Others"
> > under gnome, or lost+found under KDE.
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> Do you know how many .desktop files in Debian use the categories
> Electronics or Engineering? If there are not enough to nicely populate a
> menu, it may be better to patch them to relocate them somewhere else.

We have quite a few hamradio applications and quite a few electronics
applications. Neither of these fit well into any existing freedesktop
menu. An Engineering menu might be more generic replacement for
Electronics, if there are enough other packages to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately none of the top-level freedesktop categories fits either.
The registered categories list
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html does not list
any related categories for electronics. For ham radio, it suggests
Network and Audio, both of which are inappropriate for most of the
packages.

Nobody on the freedesktop.org xdg mailing list seemed to care when I
posted about this.

> If there are enough, there is a third way of having an optional menu:
> the Custom Debian Distribution. In the Debian-Med CDD, we have an extra
> "Med" menu, and which user gets it is configured through debconf.

All the other electronics and hamradio packages are in standard Debian.

thanks
Hamish