Re: netconf control socket protocol: rfc822, xml-rpc, or dbus

* "Joe Smith"

| The alternative is to have the control socket use the D-Bus system,
| meaning only one package is needed, but messages
| would need to pass through the dbus-daemon in order to be recieved.

You can use point-to-point DBus connections without a daemon if you
for some reason desire that, but I don't see what's so bad about
having the control socket using an pseudo-RFC2822 syntax and a DBus
service which translates DBus messages to and from that syntax. XMLRPC
and similar just looks like complete overkill here; parsing RFC2822 is
fairly trivial with the C implementation in cdebconf weighing in at
about 100 lines, including some comments and such.

--
Tollef Fog Heen