Re: netconf control socket protocol: rfc822, xml-rpc, or dbus

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:33:31PM +0000, Joe Smith wrote:
> "Pierre Habouzit" <madcoder@artemis.madism.org> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20080108165521.GB4783@artemis.madism.org">news:[🔎] 20080108165521.GB4783@artemis.madism.org...
> >I assume that it's
> >possible to write tools that directly hit your netconf server withouth
> >going through the dbus daemon, making it lightweight and a really good
> >solution even for small systems.
>
> That is how it currently works. The idea is to have two packages, one
> that is the actual service with some kind of protocol
> working over a control socket. A second package would provide a DBus
> interface, and basically translate DBus messages to whatever the native
> message format of the control pipe is.
>
> However, he would still need some sort of protocol for the control
> socket.
>
> The alternative is to have the control socket use the D-Bus system,
> meaning only one package is needed, but messages
> would need to pass through the dbus-daemon in order to be recieved.

  Well that wasn't what I understood, but I'm really not a D-Bus expert
at all :) Though it doesn't makes sense to let the D-Bus connector be a
separated component as you then only pull the library which is of a
reasonable size.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit