Re: Correct spelling/capitalisation of project names

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Some weeks ago I noticed that some package descriptions
> > incorrectly spell some project names, mainly because of
> > capitalisation. [...]
>
> I can't help but roll my eyes at this. There are so many valid reasons
> to write "linux", "debian", or even "gnome" or "xerox"^W"kde".

If they're used to describe the project, they should be capitalised
properly.

If they're used to describe, e.g., a filename, command, or some other
literal text, it's more explicit to put those in quote marks so it's
clearer that it's *not* a proper name.

> You can find some good in examples in the descriptions of devscripts
> and debhelper ("debian/", "debian package") which do not refer to a
> proper name and so don't need to be capitalised.

The references to file names can be quoted to distinguish them from
proper names (and the proposed lintian check has been described to
pass on those instances).

Why do you think "debian package" is proper capitalisation? What does
the word "debian" refer to in that term, if not Debian?

--
 \        "The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must |
  `\      not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true." |