Re: Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

On Saturday 5 January 2008 14:43, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> As you might expect (as I was the requester for this feature) I'd
> *really* prefer the former option. My initial reasoning for it is that
> I want to make it immediately visible to sponsors if a package has
> suppressed lintian warnings. If it's not the default behaviour to list
> them, then I'd be worried that some people just won't notice.

I think that a sponsor should review candidate packages more than just running
lintian over them. If I get a completely new package to review I examine at
least all files in the debian/ dir closely. If it's an update to a package I
sponsored before, I at least debdiff it with the archive version, then added
overrides would come up aswell.

Wrong overrides should be caught by proper package review. Sometimes one slips
through - bad luck then, it's not the end of the world. I don't think that
lintian should be verbose about legitimate attempts to make it less verbose.
It defeats the point, really.

Thijs