Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

[Kurt Roeckx]
> Why is it using -18?   Please change that to SIGCONT, it depends on the
> arch what the value should be.  See signal(7), which even mentions that
> that is different for ppc/i386.

Historical reasons and because that is what killall5 support, as I
noticed you discovered shortly after you sent this email. :)

> I think it would be nice that in case it needs to send KILL
> for debug purpuses it could:
> - output which processes are still running

Would need a change in the interface and behaviour of killall5, or
perhaps it is enough to do 'ps -ef' or similar?  Not sure if it is
useful in non-debugging sessions, though.

> - have some sort of delay before it turns the box off/reboots.

Fairly easy to do, but I am not sure it is a good idea.  I would need
to have some idea about how often the SIGKILL part is reached before
doing that.  Do not want to slow down the shutdown only to make
debugging easier.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen