Re: List of packages which should probably be Architecture: all

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:50:48AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Raphael> Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>
>     Raphael> dar-static
>
>     Raphael> Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>
>     Raphael> e2fsck-static
>
> Both of these (and maybe others) are false positives.

Which would be caught if the test actually say, used the "file"
command for any binary that had files installed in a .../bin directory
or .../lib directory.

	BTW, I recently got a complaint from someone who was still
using a 2.4 Woody system, and had been using e2fsck-static as a way of
getting the latest e2fsprogs fixups for e2fsck, given that the woody
backports effort had stopped a while ago.  Apparently the latest glibc
uses thread local storage in its locale code, so even linking
statically against glibc will result in a binary that can't be used on
a 2.4 kernel.  Because I was a nice guy, I hacked up e2fsck-static to
build against dietlibc instead, so it would work on ancient systems.
Dropped the size of the binary from over a megabyte to about 330k, a
savings of two-thirds....

						- Ted