Re: [sven@powerlinux.fr: Re: Results for General Resolution: Lenny and resolving DFSG violations]

> I think the problem is not really the social contract, what it currently
> says is just fine, and we all agree with it.

ACK.

> We have free stuff, which is in main, and non-free stuff of diverse
> variety, which is in non-free (plus the hybrid contrib).
>
> My own guess is that all those clamoring to have non-free firmware and
> non-free documentation or images or whatever in main, would be just as
> satisfied if we decided to support non-free more (and maybe put choice
> non-free stuff on our CD medias).

I also agree in parts with you.
There was already somewhere a discussion about, my opinion is, that it
would be good to have e.g. an additional non-free netinstaller medium,
which includes non-free parts like bnx2 firmwares, some non-free drivers
which are necessary to run this machine and to get a connectivity (so on
also WLAN blobs).
e.g. we have some servers with those bnx2 (aka brotcom netextreme II)
cards, with the netinstaller we can not get a connectivity to the
network, remote installations are so on for the a... :)

> I believe this will satisfy everyeone, there will be no loss of
> freeness over what we have now (we distribute this non-free stuff from
> our ftp/http servers, which is just another distribution media compared
> to CDs), while it allows for transparent installation of those non-free
> drivers, and thus those wanting to be able to install on
> non-free-firmware needing hardware should be happy too.

The point is (except from some realy crazy licenses) that the most ppl
in Debian (I am counting myself to this group) do not want to support
non-free stuff, which is also an enforcement for the vendor/programmer
to switch to a free solution.

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: patrick.matthaei@web.de

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,
we were maybe wrong.