Re: problems with the concept of unstable -> testing

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:16:05PM +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:

> I support that request. Not only is unstable quite outdated already
> (bleeding edge?) it also becomes more and more a problem since the
> kernel and Xorg aren't updated anymore in unstable. That means that
> newer hardware (especially Laptops) don't fully work anymore (WLAN,
> Graphic, Sound).

The latest alsa source is in unstable.  'm-a a-i alsa' would install it.

What new graphics cards are supported by xorg 7.4 that arean't already
supported by unstable?  the intel, ati, radio, nv drivers don't support
any newer cards afaict.

> Since we're making it very hard for our users to get their new hardware
> working seamlessly, unstable becomes more and more unattractive compared
> to other distributions.

Is attracting users with brand new hardware to use unstable a goal of
ours?

The kernel is available elsewhere: http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/

> and second, since
> experimental is not part of the unstable > testing > stable flow, it has
> the aura of sandbox/playground/if-your-box-breaks-its-your-own-fault.
> And officially we don't even recommend using unstable, aren't we? So for
> me that argument is invalid.

If we don't recommend using unstable, doesn't that make YOUR argument
invalid?

stew