Re: NEW processing

Le Wednesday 03 December 2008 16:33:15 Martin Wuertele, vous avez écrit :
> > Quality checks could be done later and this would ease the whole process
> > while keeping a focus where it is important.
>
> I completely disagree. It's a welcome benefit if packages of inferior
> quality are prevented from entering the archive in the first place imo.
> If you want to test packages not yet ready for debian you can upload
> them to universe.

Quality checks can and should be done on a community basis.

As said elsewhere, in any way, after the NEW checks you are free to break
whatever you want.

That's what trust between DDs is about, after all.

I really don't see why it should be needed to have those checks at the initial
upload, while I see it clearly for legal and archive issues.

They even lead to quality issues since they block potential fixes for other
bugs and add lag to fixes involving several packages going through NEW.

That's particularly true for packages that introduce only a new binary
package. The hold is necessary for archive issues, but the delay isn't.

One good idea could be to have public checkboxes about what needs to be
checked, where packages with only binary changes should be processed much
faster.

Romain