Re: Popular packages in Ubuntu that is missing in Debian/main

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 10:26:51AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Stuff that will not be in main. It's great stuff for off-topic threads:

> Non-free "patented":
>   avidemux
>   dvdrip
>   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
>   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
>   lame
>   transcode
>   vlc-plugin-pulse

There's nothing patented about the pulseaudio plugin for VLC.  It's in
multiverse because that's where vlc lives in Ubuntu.

> non-free/contrib:
>   gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
>   mencoder
>   mjpegtools
>   nspluginwrapper

I'm not clear on why this one is in multiverse in the first place, it
appears to be licensed under the GPL.

> Different Packaging:
>   bluez

Mainly because Debian is behind a release on this, I think.

> Ubuntu-specific?:
>   launchpad-integration
>   liblaunchpad-integration1
>   python-launchpad-bugs
>   python-launchpad-integration

Not specific to Ubuntu; whether there'll be interest in having these in
Debian is another matter.

>   onboard

Also not specific to Ubuntu, just not packaged for Debian yet.

>   powermanagement-interface

Not likely to be useful per se, but only if someone finds it useful to have
other packages using the interface.

>   ufw

Not specific to Ubuntu, though I'm not sure whether the implementation is in
a state currently where it warrants entertaining in Debian.

>   binutils-static
>     What's the point of that one?

Providing a minimal binutils package that can be used for linking non-free
kernel modules.

Cheers,