Re: what about a unofficial public community repo? (was: Re: qmail and related packages in NEW)

William Pitcock dijo [Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 06:57:37PM -0600]:
> (...)
> What I propose is something more along the lines of Gentoo's "sunrise"
> overlay... a repository that anyone can get upload access to provided
> that they understand basic Debian policy and have established that they
> will be non-malicious (likely through some sort of indirect uploading
> for a few months). Basically a true *community* repo.

Umh... If I am malicious, don't you think I will be able to behave for
the first couple of months? Anyway, I don't expect -unsupported
packages to rank very high popcon-wise. I think it will suffice to say
clearly and loudly enough, "this is not Debian, you are using this at
your own risk". Maybe to be as obnoxious with this as to provide an
unsigned archive, so that aptitude (or whatever tool) _always_
complains when installing from there.

Probably the only thing that must be kept (almost?) as strict as it is
in Debian (+non-free) is the licensing checks - Even if it is at
-unsupported, we cannot distribute non-distributable software.

> This would likely be with the packaging source being maintained in SVN,
> so that there is a large amount of transparency in the maintenance
> process.

Yes, having a VCS-based service looks as very important in my eyes.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23