Re: cdebconf, and a versioned dependency on debconf

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 08:51:26PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Solutions?
>  a) Do not depend on cdebconf as an alternate; in which case the upgrade
>     works fine, but the future transition to cdebconf gets hairier.
>  b) depend on cdebconf, but check which variant is present, and check if
>     the version you are asking for has the feature present. This is
>     harder, more complex, and we added the versioned dependency so we do
>     not have to check for the rpesence of the  new feature.
>  c) Post lenny, tell a white lie to the packaging system, and pretend
>     ucf breaks debconf < 1.5.19. This is not true, since it is actually
>     debconf that break the ucf version >= 3.005, but if the Breaks
>     relationship is symmetric, as implemented, this white lie would work
>
>      c) is not possible for Lenny yet, since Etch's dpkg has no idea
>  what a Breaks relationship means.

>         So me, I am going for option a for ucf, unless someone can point
>  me to a better idea.

Since recent versions of cdebconf don't provide their own confmodule, but
instead depend on debconf to provide it, it seems that a) is correct in and
of itself: it doesn't matter if cdebconf implements the extension at the
protocol level if cdebconf is server only the shell library implementing the
client side of the protocol doesn't support the extension.