Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:12:26PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 07:46:27PM +0100, Christoph Haas <email@christoph-haas.de> was heard to say:
> > On Sonntag, 16. November 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:18:26PM +0100, Christoph Haas
> > <haas@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > >
> > >   Just one quick question: will there eventually be support for
> > > different versions to have different screenshots?  Occasionally
> > > there's a big difference across versions, and users might want to
> > > see it.
[..]
>   Oh, and a third question while I'm at it:  what sort of bandwidth is
> available for this system?  I imagine that automatically fetching
> thumbnails for an entire list of a few hundred packages would be poor
> manners.  Do you think you can handle fetching the thumbnail of each
> package the user clicks on?

I was pondering about this problem as well and solved it for now by
adding a little button into the package description in synaptic that
fetches the thumbnail when clicked. Clicking on the thumb again gives
the big image. This ensures that casual browsing of the package list
does not generate network traffic on s.d.n

I think even that will be quite a hit to screenshots.debian.net. I
imagine in the future it may make sense to have a package for this
(this was suggested already IIRC) so that the download bw is spread
over all the mirrors.

Cheers,
 Michael