Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Christoph Haas wrote:

On Montag, 17. November 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:
  Personally, I would rather be able to provide a version number
and then get the "best" screenshot you have.

What is the "best"? :)

I have o idea what Daniel had in mind, but I'd regard the screenshot
which has the same version and if this is not available the latest
available version as "the best".

I can add a version parameter to the /thumbnail requests that would give
you only a thumbnail for the exact version. Just keep in mind that by
default the web interface suggest the Sid package revision.

So this reasonable default as a fallback if the specified version
is not available fits my perception of the "best".  It might be
reasonable to accept "Etch", "Lenny", etc. as "version" of a package
as well.

So I'd say in 99% of the cases you get nothing.

If there is *any* version of a screenshot I would prefer getting this
over nothing.

Do you think you can handle fetching the thumbnail of each
package the user clicks on?

I currently do. Or how do you mean?

Again I do not know what Daniel means but what I would need is

	check = check_if_screenshot_is_available()
	if check:
		insert_link_to_thumbnail()
	else:
		create_link_to_enable_user_to_upload_screenshot()

So I would need an API whether there is a screenshot available or not.
It seems stupid to try to download a whole thumbnail to obtain this
information.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--