Re: Announcement: Debian Pure Blends news

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Neil Williams wrote:

I guess what are talking about here is the mirrors. Do all Blends use
unchanged Debian mirrors?

Yes.  What else would you expect if it says _inside_ Debian?  A Debian
Pure Blend has no separate mirror - THIS is the basic idea of the concept.

If so, what are Blends blending?

All mixtures are inside the Debian package pool.  Out of these mixtures
we want to fit the taste of a certain user group.

Emdebian Grip *is* intended to be Debian, just 20% smaller (maybe 30% if

There is no conflict.  There are other things inside Debian than
Debian Pure Blends.  Originally the concept was called "Debian Internal
Projects" [1] and originally the name "Custom Debian Distribution"
was invented to avoid mixing up these user oriented projects from
technical projects (like Emdebian, Debian-Installer, Debian-Live
etc.).  It just turned out that the name CDD immediately caused the
wrong assumption (because of the distribution term) that it is a
distribution which is based on Debian but *different* and our main
focus is on telling people that we are *not* different.

So for you Emdebian was, is and will be a Debian Internal Project which
is listed at the place where it belongs to.  This is what I wanted to
say when I asked for having a look at the doc[2] - the name is choosen
for a concept Emdebian does not really fit into.

The intention is to have Grip generation
entirely automated, even working as a repository update hook.

To say it once more: I like your Emdebian effort but it is orthogonal
to the user specific field scope.  For instance: We might consider
an Emdebian Med for medical stuff using embedded devices (which is in
fact very interesting).

I'm hoping that Grip will be seen differently - as a normal Debian
install, just smaller. Whatever changes might be necessary to actually
deploy Grip, I will be seeking to fold those changes into the relevant
Debian packages.

I hope you do not feel discriminated - but it is just not true that
every project inside Debian now has to use the name we have choosen
for a specific internal concept.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/#projects