Re: DFSG violations in Lenny: Summarizing the choices

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:11 AM, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> Another choice open to Debian is to make it easier for users to opt
> into downloading firmware --- perhaps by making very easy through the
> installer to select the non-free section.

For machines where non-free firmware is required, lenny d-i defaults
to adding non-free and installing that firmware. I found this out when
installing on my laptop, which contains an Intel 3945 wireless chip.

Linux upstream seems to be making moves towards removing all firmware
from the kernel tarball and shipping it in a separate tarball and git
repository anyway. This seems to be driven by Fedora and Red Hat folks
(such as David Woodhouse).

--
bye,
pabs