Re: Possibility for dependencies against specific kernel modules

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:29:16PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> | Package: test
>> | Depends: test-modules | test-source
>> |
>> | Package: test-modules
>> | Depends: linux-image-2.6.26-1-powerpc | linux-image-2.6.26-1-powerpc64
>> |
>> | Package: test-source
>>
>> Both apt and aptitude would always try to install test-modules. The
>> problem is that neither apt nor aptitude are smart enough to find the
>> best solution in the dependency tree, both only evaluate deps of depth 1
>> at one time.
> I don't understand why APT would always try to install test-modules.
> Suppose you're on lenny and you have speex installed, then APT won't
> propose to install vorbis-tools when you request to install abcde,
> despite its dependency on vorbis-tools (>= 1.0beta4-1) | lame | flac |
> bladeenc | speex
>
> Are you saying there's a difference in your example? If so, what is it?

Yes. You have speex already installed and is therefor prefered to
resolve the dependency. My example was for a fresh installation without
anything installed yet.

Bastian

--
You!  What PLANET is this!
		-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0