Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

[Teemu Likonen]
>      1. Debian will remain 100% free
>
>         [...] We will never make the system require the use of a
>         non-free component.
>
> The "system" doesn't require non-free components; it's just some users
> and their hardware that does. Debian cares about the "system".

Did you miss the other sentence?  "We promise that the Debian system
and all its components will be free according to these guidelines."

You can argue about whether the firmware files meet the DFSG source
requirement when they don't have separate source code.  You can argue
whether this violates the GPL on the kernel drivers.  But I don't see
how you can argue that the firmware files we distribute on our CDs are
not part of "the Debian system and all its components".
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/