Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

"Jeff Carr" <basilarchia@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 00:31, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> > If we use the "preferred form of the work for making modifications
> > to it" definition of source code, what is the form that best meets
> > that definition?
> >
> > What form of the work do the copyright holders use to make changes
> > to it?
>
> Usually it's whatever the chip manufacturer provides.

That doesn't seem to address my question. Here, “the copyright
holders” means the copyright holders in the work under question; i.e.
the work whose freedom is being discussed: the bundle of bits that get
redistributed with the driver for loading onto the hardware.

Whoever the copyright holder of that work is (I read your remark above
to mean that the hardware manufacturer is that copyright holder),
there must be a “preferred form of the work for making modifications
to it”. What form is that? *Someone* must have it, in order to make
modifications that become new releases of the work to run on the same
hardware.

--
 \       “The future always arrives too fast, and in the wrong order.” |
  `\                                                    —Alvin Toffler |