Re: can a kernel in main depend on firmware in non-free to work?

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 18:28 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've been watching the discussion and the separation of firmware from
> kernel sources with a lot of interest, but today it dawned on me that,
> even if this project is completed, it wouldn't quite address the issue
> of compliance with Debian procedures and regulations.
>
> I understand main is supposed to be self-contained, and not depend on
> software in contrib (or non-free, for that matter).
>
> My understanding is that portions of the Debian system that depend on
> non-Free Software, in spite of being Free themselves, belong in
> contrib, not in main.
>
> If my understanding above is correct, then kernel drivers that require
> on non-Free firmware should not be in main, but rather in contrib, and
> the non-Free firmware itself (if shipped at all) ought to be in
> non-free.
[...]

The relationship from linux-image-2.6.* to firmware-* cannot be
described as Depends or Recommends, because most systems do not require
the drivers in question.  Therefore linux-image-2.6.* can continue in
main without the drivers being separated out, though the sourceless
firmware should be.  See policy sections 2.2.1 and 7.2.

Ben.