Re: Bits from the Debian CD team

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>  * Full CD sets for all architectures:
>    + i386, amd64 and source will all be available for download as ISO,
>      torrent and jigdo
>    + for powerpc we will create ISOs/torrents for the first 8 CDs
>      only (with the rest as jigdo)
>    + for other architectures we'll have ISOs/torrents for the first 3
>      CDs only (rest as jigdo)
>
>  * Full DVD sets for all architectures:
>    + i386, amd64 and source will all be available for download as ISO,
>      torrent and jigdo
>    + for other architectures we'll have ISOs/torrents for the first 1
>      DVD only (rest as jigdo)
>    + again, the show giveaway DVD: multi-arch i386/amd64/powerpc/source
>      containing as much as will fit on a single DVD

I agree completely with the necessity of doing this and thanks for adding
the option to set separate limits for jigdo versus iso in debian-cd.

One consequence is that we will need to update the website to inform users
about this, both end users and CD vendors.

For CD vendors we should IMO mention that they still can sell full CD sets
for any architecture if they like. I also think it may be a good idea to
provide a recommendation on [1] to offer both partial sets and full sets
as I think currently quite a few vendors still only sell full CD sets.

For users I think it would be good to have some explanation that ISOs are
partial sets with links to both an explanation and a link to the full
jigdo set on the download pages themselves (e.g. [2]). Maybe that means
we should start generating download pages as HTML?

New script for easy CD building
-------------------------------
Yesterday I added a new script 'easy-build.sh' in the debian-cd SVN
repository. This is a wrapper around the existing build.sh script
intended to make it a lot easier to build specific (sets of) images.

It's useful both for building custom images (e.g. for derived
distributions) and to build images for testing (e.g. for D-I testing or
pre-release testing [3]).

The script supports multi-arch, selection of gnome/kde/xfce as default
desktop environment, use of custom packages and D-I images and much more.
Please see the README.easy-build file for documentation.

If you do any CD building, please give it a try. If you have any comments
on the script, please mail the debian-cd list.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/info
[2] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/hppa/iso-cd/
[3] debian-cd now also supports including packages from
    *-proposed-updates