Re: RFA: The Debian Jr. project

2008/10/1 Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:30:40 +0200
> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>> Yup. Has something happened on this in the last month?
>
> Miriam Ruiz has some ideas, but since our initial contact on the
> matter, I have not seen any action on them.

I have some ideas and I plan to do work on this. I just didn't have
time until now because this weeks have been really exahusting at work,
and also due to some personal matters involving someone in my close
family and the hospital. I might be a bit away these days, but I'm
definitely not giving up the project :)

>> Hm. Honestly, I have no idea how kids see Debian Jr. now, maybe I wonder if
>> they can see it, as currently afaik its "only" a packaging effort within
>> Debian, so I dont think it's visible to them. Do you agree? ;)
>
> Probably.  But it doesn't stop me from wishing this were not so.  I
> didn't want Debian Jr. to be *only* a packaging effort.  I wanted a
> living, breathing relationship between children, their caretakers and
> developers.  We've fallen far short of this lofty ideal, but that
> doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be kept alive.  That's the
> distinctiveness that is at risk to be lost if we're just absorbed by
> Debian Edu.

I don't have the time nor the mood to fully explain my ideas right
now, but I will. I want to have children and teenagers somehow
involved in the development of what would be their distribution too,
and I think I know how to achieve that.

>> Basically, to keep Debian Jr. distinct, I would suggest branding :)
>
> Not a bad technical solution, as I said.  Let's just see what comes of
> the alternate proposal by Miriam to have youth lead this project as a
> group before going down that road, though.

Whatever I do, I don't plan to have separate repositories of any kind,
but to use Debian's, so my plan would lead to effectively create a
Debian branding targeted to kids.

Greetings,
Miry

PS: I'm sorry for not beint more verbose right now. I'm a bit
overloaded due to some things outside Debian.