Re: RFC: update-rc.d <script> disable|reenable

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:45:30AM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> The mandate of update-rc.d is to manage initscript runlevel symlinks, not more
> or less, as I understand it. Therefore the querying of service status seems
> well outside of update-rc.d's scope.

> Ubuntu have added a `service' utility in sysvinit (2.86.ds1-59ubuntu4), it
> looks like a utility that satisfies your criteria, it is briefly introduced
> here:
> http://dustinkirkland.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/a-working-service-script-in-ubuntu-intrepid/

> It can be seen in the Ubuntu package diff on sysvinit's PTS:
> http://patches.ubuntu.com/s/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.86.ds1-59ubuntu4.patch

> Debian could adopt this service utility, or the ideas and code behind service
> could be integrated into invoke-rc.d, making it "service-like" as some people
> desire:
> http://bugs.debian.org/377758

"service" is the well-known name of this command, originating with IRIX but
popularized in the Linux world by Red Hat.  Debian should have a 'service'
command; making this part of either update-rc.d or invoke-rc.d (both of
which are interfaces for /packages/, not for the admin) would be much less