Re: RFC: update-rc.d <script> disable|reenable

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> Another idea would be, to define a new update-rc.d function called
> "status", which would return either "running, not running or disabled".
> There were some efforts recently, to add a status action to the init
> scripts, which would be a prerequiste of such a new interface to work
> properly.

I certainly like this idea, though I think you'd also need another
return value of "not implemented", as there are thousands of init
scripts out there lacking 'status' actions.

Determining if an init script has a status action or not is a pretty
crude science.  I usually grep for something like "status)" in the
init script.  Most init scripts that I've encountered implement these
actions as case statements, and generally have a case of "status)".
That seems to be correct maybe 98% of the time.

--
:-Dustin