Re: RFC: update-rc.d <script> disable|reenable

[Loïc Minier]
> I'd love to have "disable" just disable the script in its current
> config and "reenable" reenable it in its current config.  I wonder
> whether we could use the x bit for this; this would also allow per
> runlevel disabling and enabling, but would additionally allow
> preserving local changes to the enabled/disabled runlevels, and
> hence disabling/enabling the service for all runlevels.

If a service is disabled on a runlevel, the stop script need to be
executed when switching into this runlevel.  Because of this, it is
not enough to remove the execute bit.  Besides, the execute bit would
be on the script, not on the symlink.  Thus this approach will not
work.

> If we can't use the x bit for this for some reason, perhaps we can
> add a policy-rc.d-alike mechanism in invoke-rc.d to support a list of
> enabled/disabled service/runlevel combinations?

Not sure it is a good idea to store the enable/disable settings in yet
another location.  At the moment it is stored in /etc/rcX.d/ and
/etc/default/ (for some services).  I would prefer to keep it only in
/etc/rcX.d/.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen