Annoying GTK2 file dialogue - where to file the BUG?
for some reason, Debian favors Gnome to be the default desktop.
My reason for using KDE is mainly Gnomes file browser. But as a
matter of fact, major applications are using the GTK2 libraries
(Mozilla, Openoffice.org, Gimp, Audacity etc.) - and Opneoffice.org is
the only one that allows to use the KDE file selector.
Now, what's wrong with the GTK2 file chooser? I will report a bug if
anybody could name the package/library I have to refer to.
Look at this screen shot for instance:
(1) all entries are displayed twice
(2) there is no option to sort by size or to even display size.
maybe this must be enabled by the calling app (audacity here)
- but if this option is not diallowed explicitly, it should be
possible to add it by the browsing user.
(3) whenever I tell Mozilla to open a dialogue with a specific app,
I can (to be quick) enter its path right in the file name box
(say: /usr/bin/ark). Next time however, the file selector will
start browsing that directory (/usr/bin) and produce a hang
lasting at least 4-5 seconds. Suspecting
- missing caching
- slow algorithms
- bad threading
(4) missing eyecandiness: grey and simple icons, no rounded corners,
dominating dark grey, low percentage of area used for content/
information (too much frame).
Sorry, don't get me wrong - I just wanted to share my personal
impression of this fun stopper - it's like a hair in a five star soup!