confusion about non-free (Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008)

[ adding debian-project ]

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 01:53:54PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 08:28:19AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > Earliest Eee models fully supported in Lenny
> >
> >    Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
> >    madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well,
>
> Hi Ben
>
> Lenny is Debian.  non-free is not part of Debian.  Check the Social Contract.

I wonder what is it that we do wrong to spread this confusion so much that it
affects even Debian developers themselves.

What is this to blame?  Would it be the FTP archive layout?  Perhaps having an
unified BTS?

I'd be very interested in finding an answer to that question, and proposing a
reform if we find something conclussive.

--
Robert Millan