Re: esound [was: Re: Non-related 'Recommends' dependencies - bug or not?]

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008, Martin Pitt wrote:
> That's interesting indeed! So you avoid that by using an OSS driver
> instead of the ALSA one? I can really not imagine how esound on top of
> a broken ALSA driver would sound better than just using the ALSA
> output directly?

 It might normalize which sampling rate / sample width is used

Hi,

Pardon me for resurrecting this slightly old thread but there's been an important development. Jeffrey Stedfast has resolved the esd deadlocking issues when used with PulseAudio. Among other things, this solves the Pidgin and Flash crashing problems (both of whom consume esd output while Pulse is running with -compat).

http://jeffreystedfast.blogspot.com/2008/07/pulseaudio-i-told-you-so.html

It appears that he also made a correct release by merging our downstream changes to libesd that were rotting in Gnome's Bugzilla.

Loïc, you offered to NMU this package here:

This vastly improves the Gnome sound situation. Hope we can get this in for Lenny.