Re: RFC: libprojectM, new upstream version.

Il giorno mer, 16/07/2008 alle 17.46 -0500, William Pitcock ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 22:59 +0200, Francesco Namuri wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've packaged the new version of this library, the upstream author has
> > changed the SONAME, and so I've changed the name of the lib and -data
> > package, not changed the name of the -dev file because the old
> > maintainer has chosen to not version the package.
> >
> > This is my first library package, and I've some doubts, is for this that
> > I'm asking for RFC...
> >
> > Is it correct to replace the old library? This can cause some breakage
> > with old linked binaries (if any, I've seen that no package depends on
> > this library)...
>
> audacious-plugins
> libvisual-projectm
>
> You will have to at least update audacious-plugins to work before doing
> this.

audacious-plugins is already compatible with the new version of
libprojectM... I've looked at the logs of buildd of audacious-plugins
and the projectM plugin isn't build from version 1.4.5-1, so the update
of libprojectM don't break anything, indeed I tried to compile with
libprojectM 1.2 and it builds also the projectM plugin... So I'm going
to package the new library version...

> > about the change of SONAME by the upstream author, is it correct to
> > change the SONAME if the library is compatible with the old one?
>
> The library isn't compatible. Upstream breaks the API with every
> release, so I gave up on them.

Best regards,
francesco