Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Xen status in lenny?

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 15/07/08 at 14:01 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> - KVM: is very promising but is it really a valid alternative *now*
>   for current Xen users?

That is an interesting question.  We are doing some research on that
topic right now.  I've migrated some VMware and xen stuff on my own
workstation to KVM, with highly encouraging results.  That is, of
course, different than a server situation, but a data point nonetheless.

We have been happy with Xen in principle, but there have been enough
strange things happen over the past year or two that we're not entirely
comfortable with it anymore.  These things include the hypervisor
crashing on creation or removal of a domU, strange kernel oops in domUs,
and severe brokenness of pciback.

It should be noted that KVM does not include PCI backend support, though
with the degree of brokenness of it in Xen, that may not be an issue.
Also, KVM requires hardware virtualization support, which Xen does not.
 So it is not entirely a drop-in replacement.

The fact that Xensource is supporting 2.6.18 only, and that work on KVM
is integrated into the kernel upstream, is a strong argument to us for
converting to KVM.  Unless something changes drastically with Xen's
kernel support, I can't see us doing anything but KVM long term.

-- John