Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 15:38 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> I happened to see a similar bug filed against backuppc.
>
> How many of these bugs have been filed?
> Are you aware of the Debian policy regarding mass bug filing [1]?

I have filed two (from memory). I am aware of that policy.

> IMO this is a subject that definitely should have been discussed on
> d-devel _before_ the bugs were filed.

It was discussed. What sort of resolution would you like before these
bugs were filed?

If you mean that discussion of a proposed MBF should have happened then
I'm not sure that what I have done warrants that.

If someone was to collect all of the Ubuntu patches to do this and submit
them at once then it obviously would. However, Ubuntu has only just changed
to something that is acceptable to Debian and so most packages have not
been updated yet.

I'm not saying that there isn't a better way to go about this, but
in this case a suitable package can be changed unilaterally with no
effects elsewhere, so patches can be forwarded as and when they are
ready.

If someone is interested in seeing this happen then I would be happy
to co-ordinate such that we can update all the Ubuntu patches to be
acceptable to Debian, and then follow the procedures to propose
a large-scale change to Debian.

Thanks,

James