Re: RFC: Idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 08:40:35AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Ian Jackson
> |   --divert
> |       In practice diversity in this option seems to cause more
> |       trouble than it's worse.  Perhaps we should settle on
> |       `.diverted' or something ?

I like this idea. Going for something like .dpkg-diverted would be more
consistent with other files explicitly renamed by dpkg in various
occasions (mainly conffile handling) though.

> While diverting libraries is something that should be done with a bit of
> thought and great care, it is sometimes necessary.  In that case, making
> sure the diverted library goes to a separate directory often makes sense
> to avoid confusing ldconfig.  Therefore, I would like to be able to

Point, but wouldn't it be better to hack ldconfig to ignore
*.dpkg-diverted (or whatever naming convention we choose of course)
while scanning lib dirs? I understand that ldconfig is kind of delicate,
but the modification is in theory simple and will avoid complicating the
declarative diversion specification.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the