Re: RFH: curl, c-ares and ipv6

* Yves-Alexis Perez (corsac@debian.org) [080626 08:42]:
> On jeu, 2008-06-26 at 00:28 +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As a solution for "#481189 curl: cannot connect to IPv6 hosts
> > anymore" I added a patch to hook curl to c-ares even for ipv6
> > lookups. Upstream is very interested in this patch, too.
> >
> > Could someone with ipv6 connectivity please test the curl
> > packages (version 7.18.2-1e1) in experimental[1] and verify that the
> > test mentioned in #481189 works now? Does it fail on other ipv6
> > (or other NORMAL) operations?
>
> Here it seems to work fine even with curl 7.18.2-1:

that is because curl 7.18.2-1 does not do asynchronous dns lookups as c-ares
provides them (and are desireable for higher performance) but
uses blocking dns lookups that libc offers.

Because we took the save solution first (to do synchronous slow
lookups in order to get the newest curl into lenny) the reportet
bug is closed already (and curl is home free in testing). It
would be nicer (and preferend by upstream) if curl was able to do
asynchronous lookups AND do it right for ipv6, of course.

That is (hopefully) the solution that is in experimental now.

/andreas