Re: Help with #472953

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:42:01 +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:

> Hello,

Ciao Enrico,

> I need help with #472953: I cannot test it because it requires
> translated packages files downloaded by apt.  Currently there is an
> issue with -pt_BR and with -de.

I'm it_IT, I hope I can help as well.

> [..]
> Most important thing, I need the output of these two commands:
>
>   ls /var/lib/apt/lists/*i18n_Translation*

/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_Translation-it
/var/lib/apt/lists/www.debian-multimedia.org_dists_experimental_main_i18n_Translation-it
/var/lib/apt/lists/www.debian-multimedia.org_dists_sid_main_i18n_Translation-it

>   grep -h ^Description- /var/lib/apt/lists/*i18n_Translation* | cut -d: -f1 |
> sort -u

Description-it
Description-md5

> If you would like to help more, then please also:
>
>   1. git clone git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/apt-xapian-index.git
>   2. ./testrun
>
> let me know if it gives you errors or not.

Everything's fine here:

$ time ./testrun
Reading current timestamp failed: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'testdb/update-timestamp'. Assuming the index has not been created yet.
Reading Debtags database: done.
Reading it translations: done.
Rebuilding Xapian index: done.

real	1m5.723s
user	0m53.111s
sys	0m1.120s
$

> If instead you know exactly how the whole thing works and can directly
> point me at the solution, this is what I'm aiming at: translated-desc.py
> in apt-xapian-index wants to index all the translated descriptions
> together with the normal ones.
>
> To do so, it is trying to build a list of languages for which there is a
> translation in the system by looking at what *i18n_Translation* files
> are available.  Then, for every such file, it tries to extract the
> translated description, and then index them.

I'm not that good at Python, but I had some experience in parsing those files
(for the Debian-Med project, together with Andreas Tille).
I'll have a look tomorrow, if I can.

Ciao,
David

--