Re: Non-related 'Recommends' dependencies - bug or not?

Quoting Steve Greenland (steveg@moregruel.net):
> On 12-Jun-08, 13:57 (CDT), "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bug was closed by maintainer with note "it is not a bug". Is he right?
>
> Banshee's maintainer isn't (and can't) be responsible for other packages
> recommends.

Not blaming anyone here as I haven't seen the bug report, but if the
bug was closed with "it is not a bug" only, then I understand Eugene's
question.

Most of us maintainers work at the limit of the load we can sustain
and it happens to all of us to answer a bug report with some very very
short comment....which might be relevant or enough for us, but not the
bug reporter.

I really suggest package maintainers to consider more careful
interaction with bug submitters and take time to explain why we are
doing an action which might be controversial. Closing a bug report
without action falls in that category.

So, well, in such case, closing with "I think this is not a bug
because synaptic is recommended by another package in the dependency
chain" would have been better. Even better would have been to
investigate the dependency chain and reassign the bug properly, with a
short note to the bug submitter to explain him how to do such
investigation himself next time...

Yes, that takes time, but it's certainly worth it. As package
maintainers, our source of information are users and we really should
appear as slapping the nice people who care to report bugs...

Again, more easy to say or write than really apply. I think I've
already "virtually slapped" some bug submitters myself, at some
moments...