Re: How to build only linux-image-2.6.18-6-686

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:41:01AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I find that attitute totally unacceptable.

Well it looks that way to me.  In fact I would say that is true of ever
source package.  The goal is to make the maintainers job easy, since
they are the ones that deal with the source package.  Most people only
ever deal with the binary packages and as long as the maintainer does a
good job, it works fine.

For building custom kernels I think the real issue is to find out what
is wrong with make-kpkg if it isn't doing what it is supposed to be
doing.

I am not a kernel team person (or a debian developer at all for that
matter, although I do now assist with the nvidia driver package), but to
me the current kernel package works great and I do deal with the source
package.  It is way better than what we used to have before Etch.  It is
one of the most complex packages to deal with since it has to work on
every architecture while at the same time dealing with completely
different configurations for each architecture as well as multiple
flavours per architecture.  I can't think of any other package that
comes close.

--
Len Sorensen