Re: Packaging a project using cmake

On 2008-06-07, Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What do you mean ? Indeed I want the whole process from src to .deb
>>> handled by cmake.
>>
>> Then please forget it. That doesn't make proper debs.
>
> because...

Because they doesn't use
 - dpkg-shlibdeps
 - python-support|python-central for python stuff
 - running ldconfig in postinst
 - interacting with postinst/preinst in other ways

>> And this is where the cmake folks are wrong (I once wrote them a long
>> email about it).
>
> link, please ?

To Alex Neundorff and Bill Hoffmann.

> Well thanks ! That was a good bug report, indeed I forgot to duplicate
> cmake stuff into the equivalent debian file. I'll fix ASAP. But it
> should read:
>
>   SET(CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS "libc6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-4),
> libuuid1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2), libexpat1, swig")

you do this *manually* ?

>   Everytime I look at a debian package, it seems that those values are
> somehow hardcoded. I would think that a human is actually checking
> those versions, correct ? Or is there a tool that would say:
>
> $ superdupertool libfoo.so
>=> this lib requires libstdc++6 at least version 4.0.2

dpkg-shlibdeps run during build does that and then dpkg-gencontrol
replaces the ${shlibs:Depends} in control file

/Sune