Re: Proposing a new source control header to link to upstream BTSs

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> Upstream-Bug-Browser: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=WWW-Curl
> Upstream-Bug-Submitter: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Report.html?Queue=WWW-Curl
> Which were furiously rejected by many people, in the usual and
> friendly tone commonly seen in -devel.
> But just now I saw this in the dpkg changelog:
> dpkg (1.7.0) unstable; urgency=low
> {..}
>   * Add Origin and Bugs fields to the control file
> {..}
>  -- Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>  Sun,  5 Nov 2000 17:28:39 +0100
> Those were documented (or so) in deb-control(5) only last October, so
> it's no wonder nobody replied telling me that the idea I had was
> already implemented more than 7 years ago! Currently, there are about
> two source packages in the archive using these fields.

Those fields are unrelated to your proposal. Origin: is meant to be
a distribution name (Debian/Ubuntu/Xandros) and Bugs: should point
to the bug tracker of the distribution.

The goal is that reportbug <installedpackage> sends the information to the
right bugtracker even if you installed an external package on your Debian

There are plans to make real use of those fields in the not-so-distant
future, so don't reuse them for unrelated purpose.

Raphaël Hertzog